Thursday 26 March 2015

Week 11 - Blog Post #11 - Weekly Report & Reflection


Hello Everyone,

This week’s session allowed us to expand our digital knowledge using webcasting tools. The tool in particular that I took a closer look at this week was podcasts. I used a podcast to reflect on my own knowledge of digital citizenship. The new doors opened though the use of webcasting tools has yet again, broadened my knowledge of the digital world.

As previously stated, my podcast reflected on my own knowledge of digital citizenship. More specifically, I created a 60 second podcast to briefly discuss a certain aspect of digital citizenship, copyrights.  I used this podcast to build upon what we had previously uncovered last week with respect to copyrights in the digital world. Ironically, another task this week was to copyright our own blogs, which fit in perfectly with my podcast.

I found creating a podcast to be a very fascinating and rewarding experience. I have heard many podcasts over the years but have never taken the time to actually make one myself. Even though the podcast I created is very short in length, it gave me a great idea of what it would be like to create a podcast of any size and frequency!

If you would like to visit my podcast page, follow this link: “Chris Thompson Podcast

I can see podcasts becoming a part of everyone’s learning experience in educational activities in the future. With just a computer and a good microphone, teachers can record their lessons and make them available to students and parents to listen to at home. This makes it easier for students to study and gain a deeper understanding of the material taught in class. Additionally, students can take part in the podcast world as they can share what they have learned about a specific topic with other classmates and receive feedback when applicable (Digital Literacy Classroom, 2013)

 
Venable, C. (2009, January 24). Podcast [Online Image]. Retrieved from https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3305/3223086466_ca3f54f85c_o.jpg

Relating back to my PLE, if I were to categorize podcasts I would place it under a whole new category that combines two already existing classes; those being “Collaborating and Socializing” and “Creating”. The reason why I can see podcasts fitting under both of these categories is because not only was I creating new information when developing my podcast, but I have also created a resource that can be used to collaborate with others online. Just like the many other podcasts that are out there on the web, my podcast can be used as an interaction tool to spark ideas for others, and allows for feedback through comments and critiques. 

My RSS Feed Reader…

With this being one of the last weeks to post a blog for this course, I though I better follow suit and share another post from my Feedly reader about hockey! This post is about Nashville Predators player, Shea Weber, and the NHL’s Norris Trophy. Every year around this time, all hockey talk turns to who is going to make the playoffs, and who is going to win what at the NHL Awards.  This article specifically is about the Norris Trophy; the NHL’s top defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in that position. Shea Weber has been a great defensemen this year, but analysts are now scrutinizing who exactly should win this award.  This article talks about the pros and cons of giving this award to Shea Weber, and who the other candidates should be.

For those of you who would like to read more about this story, visit the article, “Do not give Shea Weber the Norris this season.”

Strasinger, M. (2013, October 13). Shea Weber [Online Image]. Retrieved from https://sportsnashville.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/dsc0411.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this weeks post!

Take care,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment