Saturday 7 March 2015

Week 8 - Blog Post #8 - Weekly Report & Reflection


Hello Everyone,

This week’s session introduced me to the land of wikis and concept mapping tools. Considering my knowledge in both of these areas was minimal, this week provided a great learning opportunity for myself. The hands on experiences provided though exploring different wikis, as well as through creating our own concept map really helped me expand my knowledge in these areas.  I look forward to continuing my learning journey through these concepts.

When I first realized one of the main topics for this week was wikis, my mind immediately thought of Wikipedia. Of course, with being a student, it has been stressed to me over and over that Wikipedia is an “unreliable source”. With that in mind, I quickly me to jumped to the conclusion that wikis in general are “unreliable sources”.  To my pleasant surprise, a great article was provided this week that debunks this “unreliable source” myth. This sparked me to further my exploration into wikis.

Ironically, Wikipedia provides a great definition of what exactly a wiki is. “A wiki is an application, typically a web application, which allows collaborative modification, extension, or deletion of its content and structure”.  After learning more about wikis, I continued my exploration through many of the wiki resources provided through this week’s session. Through this exploration, I found that wikis can be used as a great way to support our learning.

First and foremost, using a wiki really expands your use of collaboration skills. It forces you to collaborate with others through a set of rules, where negotiation, decision-making, and agreement are necessary. It also allows you to reflect on collaboration in general, in terms of how others are contributing to the wiki.

Additionally, wikis teach us how to perfect our writing and editing skills.  No one wants to sit down and sift through boring information on the web that is full of spelling errors and doesn’t make sense. It is important that the information you post to a wiki is error free and enticing to your audience.

The other main concept looked at this week was concept-mapping tools.  A concept map is a type of graphic organizer used to help people organize and represent knowledge of a subject. Concept maps begin with a main idea and then branch out to show how that main idea can be broken down into specific topics.

The tool that I used to create my own concept map was called Bubbl.us. I found this tool to be very easy to use, providing all of the capabilities needed to complete this week’s assigned task. Below, you can see the concept map I created using Bubbl.us that represents ideas, behaviors, and rules that make up the digital rights and responsibilities of digital citizens.


Thompson, C. (CC) 2015.


My RSS Feed Reader…

The post that I am sharing from my Feedly reader this week relates back to my post from last week regarding the Toronto Maple Leafs and their trade of David Clarkson to the Columbus Blue Jackets for player Nathan Horton.  This week, the news surrounding David Clarkson is his injury. Of course, it is never a good thing to hear about a player getting injured. It just seems funny that right after this big trade was made for what seems to be a better deal for the Leafs, he got what might be a season ending injury…

For those of you who would like to read more about this story, visit the article,  David Clarkson out for season because he’s a Blue Jacket, hence injured”.

 
Sabau, J. (2015, February 28). David Clarkson [online image]. Retrieved from http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/NHWI5b01VGwinIjxFnUGrQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTM3NztpbD1wbGFuZTtweG9mZj01MDtweW9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz02NzA-/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-03-04/fce80cb0-c291-11e4-ab82-917e4a0c43f7_DavidClarkson.jpg

 
I hope you enjoyed this weeks post!

Take care,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment