Saturday 28 February 2015

Week 7 – Blog Post #7 – Weekly Report & Reflection


Hello Everyone,

This week’s session allowed us to experience working in a collaborative group to complete a presentation cooperatively online.  The presentation gave us the opportunity to gain a more in depth knowledge on a topic related to building digital citizenship.  In order to do so, we were introduced to Google Docs, as well as TodaysMeet. Upon exploration into these tools, I was pleasantly surprised with just how easy and resourceful these collaborative instruments were.

Google Docs, which I am sure many of you are most likely familiar with, is an online word processor that lets you create and format text documents and collaborate with other people in real time. For the purposes of this presentation, I found this to be the perfect tool. Not only did it make my groups lives easier, but it aloud for some fun along the way.

I have worked with Google Docs before in the past, however, never to create a presentation. In the past, I have used it to create reports with a group, or work together on a spreadsheet. What I found great about creating a presentation in the drive is that it allows you to maximize the efficiency of your time. For this presentation, my partner and I would simultaneously be working in the presentation on two different slides. Once we were both complete our slide, were would then take a look at what the other person had created and make any changes we saw fit. This easily reduced the amount of time spent working on the presentation as it resulted in half the work, plus additional editing time!

Copied From: http://www.autourduweb.fr/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/google-docs.jpg

In order for my partner and I to get in touch and coordinate a timeframe as to when we were going to work on our presentation, we communicated through the tool introduced this week called TodaysMeet. TodaysMeet website describes their platform as such:

“TodaysMeet is the premier backchannel chat platform for classroom teachers and learners. TodaysMeet takes great care to respect the needs and privacy of students while giving educators the tools for success.”

I found this tool, just like Google Docs, to be very easy and straightforward to use. Just like Twitter, it allows you to type messages back and forth in a chat room, with a maximum of 140 characters. I found this to be a benefit of the tool as it made sure you got right to the point in the messages you were trying to convey, rather then providing lengthy responses. 

Copied From: http://www.edinazephyrus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/TodaysMeet.png

Relating back to my PLE, if I were to categorize these tools I would place them under 2 different categories; those being “Collaborating and Socializing” and “Creating”. TodaysMeet is a tool in which its sole purpose is to communicate with others; therefore, I would place it under my “Collaborating and Socializing” category. Google Docs however seems to fit under both categories. Not only was I creating new content when working in the drive, but I was also collaborating with my group. Therefore I would have to place this tool in a separate section where it could link to both categories.

My RSS Feed Reader…

For those of you who have read my blog before, you have probably now realized that I like to end off with a reference to a sports article of some kind from my Feedly Reader.  This week, its about the Toronto Maple Leafs and there all-famous, David Clarkson. Clarkson has recently been traded from the Leafs to the Columbus Blue Jackets for player, Nathan Horton. The funny thing about this trade is that player Nathan Horton is severely injured and may not play hockey again. This means the Leafs may have essentially just made this trade to free up cap space and get rid of Clarkson…

For those of you who would like to read more about this story, visit the article,  Toronto Maple Leads shed David Clarkson and Contract in ColumbusTrade".

Copied From: http://storage.torontosun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297541890172_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

I hope you enjoyed this weeks post!

Take care,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment