Friday 6 February 2015

Week 5 – Blog Post #5 - Microblogging & Building Your PLN


Hello Everyone,

The focus of this week’s session was microblogging, and building upon our personal learning network (PLN).  I really enjoyed this week’s material as I found it to be an area of interest for myself, and one that is talked about on a regular basis by most people these days. It was interesting to find out just how significant a role microblogging plays in developing your PLN.

As described by dictionary.com, microblogging is when you post very short entries, as a brief update or a photo, on a blog or social-networking website.  To me personally, microblogging really kicked it into gear as soon as social media and text messaging hit the stage. Social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn are all microblogging platforms that I use today, that have helped me expand my PLN. By simply posting a brief message to one of these sites, you are creating a microblog post.

Additionally, text messaging and E-mail have played a large role in the microblogging world. Almost everyone sends a text message daily. In my opinion, this is exactly like posting a microblog. Through a text message you are not going into lengthy detail about a topic, rather, you are briefly describing the topic of interest and awaiting a response from another person in your PLN.

Above, I have briefly described a couple of ways that I am currently building upon my PLN through social media, and frequent contact with others.  Looking back at Week 2 for this class, we were provided with a blog post by Clint Lalonde called “Twitter, PLEs and PLNs,” which describes a PLN as the sum of all social capital and connections that result in the development and facilitation of a personal learning environment.  The underlying message of this definition, and why people want to build a PLN, is to interact with and learn from others through a social platform.

My exploration with Twitter…

Copied From: https://g.twimg.com/Twitter_logo_blue.png
My main discovery this week during my exploration of Twitter was just how great of a tool it is for building your PLN. Before taking this class, I had my own Twitter account that I used strictly for following people and keeping up to date.  What I didn’t realize was how much I was hindering my own PLN by not partaking in the tweeting part of Twitter. After I released my first tweet under my student ADED twitter account, I gained immediate new followers and favorites to my tweets just by mentioning something of interest to another user. This instantaneously allowed to me expand my PLN with those Twitter users. I can see this being a great benefit of Twitter as it allows you to connect and interact with those who are interested in the same topics as you.

Another benefit I find Twitter possesses and how it can contribute to building ones knowledge is its follow feature.  With having the ability to follow whomever you want on Twitter, it allows you to stay up to date and current, with topics you find interesting.  For someone like myself who is interested in Finance and the stock market, I can follow accounts relating to these topics and read updates as soon as they are posted to twitter.

My RSS Feed Reader…

A post that I stumbled upon this week through Feedly seemed very fitting for the way this week started…Snow Days! This blog post, written by a Brock University student blogger named Krista, talks about the expectations versus reality of a snow day in University. I found the post to be quite funny and true. With the expectation of a snow day being playing outside in the snow and enjoying it with friends, the reality of it as a University student is playing catch up in those classes you have fallen behind in. Additionally, the post captures a screen shot of when the make up days are for those of you who did miss a class during this day.

Copied From: http://www.brockpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/snowman-wallpaper-305x175.jpg

For those of you who would like to read more, visit the article, “Snow Days: Reality vs Expectation.”

I hope you enjoyed this weeks post.

Take care,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment