Saturday 14 February 2015

Week 6 – Blog Post #6 – Weekly Report & Reflection


Hello Everyone,

This week’s session was all about building best practices around using information management tools in the cloud. In particular, the tool we looked at this week was Evernote. I have heard of Evernote in the past, however, I have never actually understood what it does until exploring it this week. Upon exploration, I found the tool to be a very useful resource, as it is very simple to use, as well as contains many features you would want in a collaborative management tool.

When the phrase “working in the cloud” get tossed around, many people, including myself, tend to wonder exactly what this is referring to. Since it was a main topic covered this week, I decided to do a little research of my own. Unfortunately, most of my findings were very comprehensive explanations of the cloud (much more detailed then needed for my understanding), which just confused me even more. However, one article called “The Beginner’s Guide to the Cloud,” gave a great example of using the cloud; “If you use any kind of social media or online data drive, you're already using the cloud; you just may not realize it.” I found this to be a great explanation of what the cloud is, as well as a very simplistic view of the term.

Once I had an understanding of what exactly “working in the cloud” referred to, I started to take a closer look into the information management tool, Evernote.  Since I was unclear as to what Evernotes purpose was, I did a little more of my own fact finding in order to better understand the true potential of this service. A great blog post I found called “You’re Nuts If You’re Not Using This App To Organize Your Stuff” by Ellis Hamburger provided me with a great description of the tool. Simply put, Evernote is a free app for your smartphone or computer that stores everything you could possibly imagine losing track of, while keeping these devices in sync which each other through the process.

My main use of Evernote thus far has been creating notes. To my surprise, Evernote doesn’t just allow you to type in wording, rather, it allows you to drag and drop articles, PDF’s, images, videos, and much more into a simple note. On top of that, it allows you to tag each note individually, allowing for easy retrieval of information that could be related to another resource.  This has already proven to be beneficial for myself with respect to our collaborative presentation assignment. Based off of the information needed for the presentation as outlined in our guide, I was able to create specific tags for each resource I found so that when the time comes, I know exactly where to go to find that piece of information.  

Another huge benefit of Evernote is its cloud sharing capability. Relating back to our collaborative presentation, this will be a major advantage as it allows your group members to see what you have been working on in the assignment, and reduce overlap in the process. Additionally, with this being an online course, many of us do not know our partners we are completing this assignment with. Evernote provides a secure environment where you can communicate and work on your presentation with your partners.

Copied From: https://lh4.ggpht.com/-LFDb4dqb4OuOWf_qHCw4AMLLn6_sEJRxcE8LfiE6RGGoMZDnkVHhOBKLCP2ZR9X3sM=w300
My RSS Feed Reader…

The post that I am sharing from my Feedly reader this week relates back to the Patriots Super Bowl win two weeks ago. Tom Brady, the Patriots quarterback was named MVP of the game. For being named MVP, Chevrolet gave Brady a new truck. However, as I am sure many of you saw/heard, Malcolm Butler of the Patriots made the game changing play.  Because of this, Brady decided to give his MVP car to Butler as a form of saying thank you.

For those of you who would like to read more about this story, visit the article, “Malcolm Butler gets MVP truck.”

Copied From: http://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_960w/Boston/2011-2020/2015/02/10/BostonGlobe.com/Sports/Images/a8a50dc307c44c3b8f32837a978444f5-a8a50dc307c44c3b8f32837a978444f5-0.jpg
I hope you enjoyed this weeks post.

Take care,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment